25 May 2016

Into the Inky Abyss

I was talking with another artist recently about his work as a cartoonist and illustrator of graphic novels.  There is the strong element of science fiction and the fantastical in his work, so I asked if he'd been influenced by the late H. R. Giger.

"He's my godfather," came the almost-reverent response.

I thought this might be a good time to introduce you to this remarkable Swiss artist, if you aren't familiar with him or let you take another look if you are.




Though Giger's name may be unknown to you, if you saw the sci-fi classic Alien, then you'll recognize him as the creative force behind the Grand Guignol sets and unforgettable monster that made life a bit uncomfortable for Sigourney Weaver and her crewmates aboard the Nostromo.




I first came across Giger years before the 1979 Ridley Scott movie.  I had seen his work in Playboy and as part of his first major -- and best-known published work -- The Necronomicon.




Giger is certainly not for every taste.  His work is edgy, dark and often uncomfortable, exploring regions of the subconscious most of us never access.  But there is little doubt that he is a unique artist and a master of his craft.

I appreciate that.  In small doses.

For those who want a closer look at Giger and his world, there is a fascinating documentary available on Netflix.




If you savor a good thrill, then you need to join these readers in picking up a copy of brother Jim's chilling tale of horror:


"This novel picks you up by the scruff of your neck and doesn't let you go until the final pages!" VB, London 


"I found myself not being able to put the book down...it just got better and better!"  LS, Arizona


"Intriguing...kept you wanting more." JS, Illinois








No comments: