07 May 2016

Made in Japan

Last month, I posted on my affinity for the Japanese style of painting known as sumi-e. Here is an excellent example:

Maruyama Ökyo
1733-1795

"Asian aesthetic writing is generally consistent in stating the goal of ink and wash painting is not simply to reproduce the appearance of the subject, but to capture its spirit. To paint a horse, the ink wash painting artist must understand its temperament better than its muscles and bones. To paint a flower, there is no need to perfectly match its petals and colors, but it is essential to convey its liveliness and fragrance. East Asian ink wash painting may be regarded as a form of expressionistic art that captures the unseen."

I have attempted some pieces in this style -- with the traditional black ink on rice paper as well as with simple ballpoint pen.  A couple of years ago, using the Christmas gift of two friends, I did the two pieces below.  I painted them with water on Buddha Board and then photographed them with an iPhone.  If you read about the Buddha Board, you will understand why photographing the pieces was necessary to preserving any record of them.

Zen Tree
2014


Zen Tea Bowl
2014


"An old-fashioned thriller!"  Featured Kirkus Review  Order your own copy now! 


"I found myself not being able to put the book down...it just got better and better!"  LS, Arizona


No comments: