19 April 2016

The Heart - and Spirit - Of the Matter

This follows on a post from a few days ago dealing with art that is executed without intellectualizing or retouching, becoming a pure expression of the spirit "in the moment" of creation.  I encountered this approach many years ago as I began studying Zen Buddhism.  It is, however, an aesthetic that goes beyond a single spiritual discipline, though it's firmly rooted in the East.  In Japan, it is best reflected in the sumi-e style:


"Asian aesthetic writing is generally consistent in stating the goal of ink and wash painting is not simply to reproduce the appearance of the subject, but to capture its spirit. To paint a horse, the ink wash painting artist must understand its temperament better than its muscles and bones. To paint a flower, there is no need to perfectly match its petals and colors, but it is essential to convey its liveliness and fragrance. East Asian ink wash painting may be regarded as a form of expressionistic art that captures the unseen."

I thought I would post several more examples of sumi-e pieces I've attempted.  Though simple in that they involve just a single object and take only a few seconds, they are among the most satisfying pieces I've ever done.  I hope they resonate with you.


Zen Incense
Ink on paper
2009


Zen Fish
Ink on paper
2009


Zen Tree 
Ink on paper
2009
(Apologies for the poor focus, but I had no other available photo.)


Zen Mountains
Ink on paper
2009




 Zen Crane
Water on Buddha Board
2014



Zen Fish
Water on Buddha Board 



Zen Bamboo
Water on Buddha Board
2014








Readers love my brother's debut novel:


"Well-written and exciting. I would recommend it!" JR, Ohio


"I found myself not being able to put the book down...it just got better and better."  LS, Arizona


"Fantastic book, right up there with Dean Koontz."  JS, Illinois

















No comments: